Not in My Own Strength

Focal Verse: "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me" (2 Corinthians 12:9).

After a busy weekend with working, church activities, and other responsibilities, I looked forward to this afternoon when I got home from church. It was my first chance all weekend to take a breath. Drew would take his usual 2-hour nap, and I could study for my Wednesday night Mom's class and relax.

Except it didn't turn out that way. Drew refused to take a nap, and in the middle of the day I had an allergy attack. Since my husband is working nights and was asleep in our house, I couldn't get any relief from my sneezing, stuffiness, and itchy eyes. I was simply exhausted and was becoming very irritable.

When Matt finally woke up, I vented to him about how exhausted I was. Looking back, he was very gracious considering he has been the one working the 12-hour night shift. He shared with me - in the most loving way - that he thought I had overcommitted myself, namely at church. And because I was so overwhelmed, I was snappy at my son and irritable altogether. I could see where he was coming from, but I told him that I felt that God had led me to minister through each activity I was a part of.

As I was thinking about how nice it would be to leave church after I finished the class I was teaching -- just so I could get a break before I begin my workweek tomorrow -- God whispered, "Jill, I didn't ask you to do all this in your own strength. I am the strength you need."

Encouraged, I headed to church. My spirit was strengthened by the message and I went home with an energy I haven't felt all weekend.

I was amazed at how easy it was to default to doing everything in my own strength, without realizing that it's just not possible. I've always heard it said, "When God calls, he always equips." Tonight I learned a new dimension of God's call: When God calls, he calls us to that which is impossible to do in our own strength, so we'll never forget that we must depend on him.

You see, it's not about what I can do for God. It's about what he - and only he - can do through me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I felt very refreshed after reading this blog. I have 4 kids and I never feel like I have enough energy, patience, or time to get everything done, and spend one on one time with each of my kids. Thank you for allowing me to see through you that I also need his strength, not just my own.

Your Sister in Christ,
Casey Jo

A Different Light said...

Jill,
Just wanted to compliment you on your recent articles with the Arkansas Baptist Newsmagazine. Great job! I'd glad to see you getting some other opportunities to use your gifts.

God bless,

Greg Sykes

Anonymous said...

Jill,
I just found this on you link on your other page. I'm so glad I did! I have only read through your first blog and it's just what I needed to hear! Chasing around a 2 year old and then having a new 6 month old is exhausting. Thanks for reminding me that I do EVERYTHING with HIS strenght, not mine! God Bless you girl. You are an amazing woman!
~Alisha