But You Have Said

Focal Verses: Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.' " (Genesis 32:9-12, emphasis mine)

Have you ever received news of a possible impending tragedy that made you panic in fear? This type of thing isn't pleasant to think about, but it's even less pleasant to experience. My family has had its share of these instances in the last year. Last July, my father-in-law was diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer, and at times the prognosis wasn't good. Then in January, in the midst my father-in-law's fight, my husband was laid off from his job. Six weeks later, he was blessed with a job, but then six weeks after that, he was told his office was shutting down. We had the option to transfer out of state but chose not to, so he is currently on the job-hunt again.

I'll never forget hearing my husband tell me about his dad over the phone. I can't forget the clarity of that day and every event, whether large or small. I'll never forget when my husband came to my work and told me he had been laid off. I'll never forget when he called me to tell me his office was shutting down and that he would be facing unemployment for the second time in 4 months. When those types of events happen, it's natural to panic. It's natural to question God. But in the midst of the panic, we need to be equipped to handle a tragedy when it comes our way.

I find so much comfort in how Jacob handled such news. He had been in Haran with his father-in-law, wives, and children, when God told him to leave Haran and travel back to his home country. Without question, Jacob did it.

At first glance, this journey seems to bear no significance except for Jacob to return to the land God promised him. But if we look a little deeper, we will see that this journey probably caused Jacob much anxiety. You see, going back to his homeland meant an almost certain encounter with his brother, who decades earlier wanted to kill him for deceiving their father and stealing Esau's rightful blessing as firstborn. Looking at the map to see Jacob's journey from Haran to Beersheeba, where he eventually settled, the land where Esau lived wasn't far off the path. And since his father Isaac was still alive in Beersheeba, a reunion with his brother was an almost certainty.

We don't know if worry consumed his thoughts like it does mine, but I have to think it probably did. But then on his way, angels of God met Jacob, and he received comfort from them. According to Matthew Henry's commentary, this comfort was preplanned by God: "The angels of God appeared to Jacob, to encourage him with the assurance of the Divine protection. When God designs his people for great trials, he prepares them by great comforts."

After this encounter, Jacob decided to be proactive in regard to Esau. According to Genesis 32:3-5, "Jacob sent messengers ahead of him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom. He instructed them: "This is what you are to say to my master Esau: 'Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now. I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, menservants and maidservants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.'"

At first glance this message from Jacob to Esau appears to be one big attempt to "kiss up" to Esau by offering him animals and servants. But as Matthew Henry points out, this message is probably designed for Esau to know that Jacob wasn't coming to demand his birthright. If you recall, Esau gave up his birthright for a pot of stew when they were younger, and since Jacob fled for Haran with nothing, he clearly hadn't "cashed in" on it.

I imagine Jacob probably had trouble concentrating on much else as he awaited his messengers' return. He had no idea how Esau would respond. But then, at last, the messengers returned, but it wasn't with good news. "We went to your brother Esau, and now he is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him" (verse 6).

Jacob panicked. All his worst fears were coming at him all at once. Esau's army will slaughter my whole family. God's plan for a mighty nation will be thwarted. Nothing good will come of this. The New American Standard Bible says Jacob "was greatly afraid and distressed." And in the same sentence he quickly devised a plan. He divided his family and everyone with him into two groups, so at least one group could possibly get away while the other was being annhilated. There didn't seem to be a favorable outcome here.

But then, after Jacob panicked, he did something that we all need to look to as the ultimate example. He prayed...but he not only prayed, he recalled God's promises. Look back again at the focal verses for today. Note the order of his prayer:

Verse 9: He acknowledged God and who God was. He "reminded" God that he was doing what God had commanded. Then he "reminded" God that He said if Jacob obeyed, he would prosper.

Verse 10: He humbles himself before God, acknowledging that everything he has is because of the grace of God and not of himself.

Verse 11: He presents his request.

Verse 12: He "reminded" God once again of His promise: "But you have said...."

Jacob's prayer is an excellent example of what we can do when terrifying circumstances present themselves. By acknowledging - and worshipping - God, humbling ourselves and recognizing everything we have comes from him anyway, presenting our request, and resting in God's promises, we can have a peace that truly transcends all understanding (Philippians 4:7).

When Jacob did this, I believe he experienced peace. But his circumstances didn't go away immediately. He kept planning. He selected gifts for Esau, sent more messengers, and proactively worked to gain Esau's favor. That brings us to another lesson from this story. Trusting in God doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing. Yes, sometimes God will tell us to just be still and trust him, but other times we are to continue working to resolve circumstances. How do we know the difference? The first thing is to tune in to God, ask him what we are to do, if anything. Then we can look at our options. Does any action present itself as a way to end the circumstance? (With my family it was my father-in-law going for chemotherapy and my husband applying for jobs.) If nothing presents itself, that probably means that we are to be still and wait...and not give in to worry. When worry strikes, we whip out the promises of God. Satan uses worry to keep our focus on our circumstances and off of God. Ephesians 6:12 says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." The last thing our enemy wants us to do is keep our eyes on God, trusting in His provision, and many times planting the seeds of worry and fear is his best weapon.

Two nights passed between his faithful prayer and meeting with Esau. Thankfully, this story has a happy ending. Esau met Jacob with love and acceptance. Obviously not every situation is going to have a happy ending, and I don't have the wisdom or knowledge to even try to address the "whys." But what I do know is that God gladly gives peace to those who faithfully recall his promises and pray them.

Isaiah 26:3 says, "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." How do we attain - and retain - this peace in the midst of terrifying circumstances? According to this verse, we are to trust in God and keep a steadfast mind. How do we keep a steadfast mind? By filling our mind with God's Word. It's not easy, but through all of my experiences in the past year, I can testify that it works. God's Word is amazing.

Here are a few promises to get you started:

Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Psalm 23:4: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 37:5-6: Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

John 14:1: Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

Deuteronomy 31:8: The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

My prayer is that we all will use the love letter of God's Word and his promises to keep our eyes on Him when terrifying circumstances arise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill, you inspire us all. I am proud to say I know you and love you as a daughter. Your words touch my heart. Love Elaine