Every Opportunity

Focal Verse: "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Peter 3:15b)

She was leaning against the counter, obviously very upset. As she let out her frustration to us, she ran her fingers through her bouncy brown hair. A pretty woman, probably in her 30s, the wear of traveling showed on her like I'm sure it did us.

She, my mother-in-law, and I were in the Chicago airport at 11:30 p.m., mistakenly sent there by the airline on our way to Orlando. We, along with six other people, had just been told that our flight to Orlando had left an hour ago, and the St. Louis airport had made a mistake sending us here. So, they were going to put us up in a hotel and help us get a flight to Orlando the next morning.

I could tell that this woman was about to air her frustration to the airline employee across the counter, even though none of this was this airline employee's fault and she handled the situation in such a way that only a fellow worker in customer service could appreciate. I was determined to handle the situation calmly, probably in an effort to protect this airline employee from this woman's anger. It seemed to work; this lady calmed herself and even later asked us how we were able to stay so calm in the situation.

"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Peter 3:15b)

That was my opportunity. No, I didn't feel led to share Jesus at that moment, but I did sense that God was telling me to talk more to her; after all, we would be traveling to the same hotel and would get opportunities to talk. Yet I failed. We waited for a long time together for our shuttle to the hotel, but I just didn't pursue more conversation. I can list the reasons but none of them compare with what I knew I needed to do. When we were in our hotel room, I decided I was going to try to find her and talk to her more the next morning because we would be on the same flight. I was hopeful. But then at the last minute, our flight got changed and I never saw this lady again.

How many of us cringe when we hear the word, "Evangelism?" What thoughts and feelings does it evoke? Perhaps we think of evangelistic training techniques, such as Win Our World (W.O.W.), apologetics, or the Roman Road. We may think of knocking on someone's door we've never met, trying to share with them Jesus. For most of us, "evangelism" evokes an insecurity, maybe even fear, within us, that moves us to shy away from it. If we've ever done a spiritual gift class where "evangelism" was one of the gifts mentioned, we reason that evangelism isn't my gift, so I don't have to worry about it.

But true evangelism goes beyond cold visits and boot camp-like training. Sure, the training techniques can be helpful, and Scripture memory is useful, but true evangelism isn't encompassed in a method. It stems from being sensitive to the Holy Spirit and making the most of an opportunity that he brings our way.

When I was planning to talk to this lady the next morning, I had no fear as I would have, had I been knocking on a stranger's door. I simply intended to talk to her, asking God to give opportunities in everyday conversation. The one thing I've learned about God is if we care to take the time to pray for opportunities to talk to people about him, he will answer. One time in my workplace, I started praying for one of my employees, that I might get to talk with her about Christ. It was amazing that while I was praying for this, how many religious conversations came about. I did get a chance to talk with her and with others in my office. Yet I notice when I get too bogged down in daily life and don't pray for these opportunities, they simply don't come as often.

I feel like we need to stop evading evangelism like the plague. Evangelism in its essence is simply talking to others about the hope we have in Christ. It's not as hard as it sounds, for God promises us that the Holy Spirit will give us the words to say: "for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say" (Luke 12:12). Also consider the words of Paul: "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel" (Ephesians 6:19).

One other thing to remember. It's not about us! Jesus said the only way someone will come to faith in him is through the Holy Spirit: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" (John 6:44a). God does the work. We only provide the vessel.

Yet our vessel must be willing to make the most of every opportunity that God brings our way.

No comments: