I Get It

Focal Verse: "For God does speak—now one way, now another— though man may not perceive it" (Job 33:14).

Okay, Father, I get it. That was my conversation with God on the way to work this morning. Listening to K-love on my 7-minute commute, the song by Chris Sligh, Empty Me, came on. Now this doesn't seem unusual, except Empty Me has been coming on quite a bit lately when I'm in the car. But not just on K-love. It seems every time I change the station to the Spirit channel on my satellite radio this particular song comes on as well.

But the frequency of this song coming on both radio stations I listen to may not have been that significant either. What got my attention was when I was in my quiet time this morning, the song popped in my mind. I remember taking note of why God would bring this particular song to my mind. And then, during my morning commute, there it was again. Okay, Father, I get it.

Now this song wasn't one of those that hit me like an arrow at a target (as compared to what I wrote about in the Miracle of the Moment blog). The lyrics were meaningful but didn't seem to have any special significance in my life at the moment. Or so I thought. I decided I would look up the lyrics and pray about what God was saying to me. With that thought, I went on to work this morning.

And then when I went to lunch, I realized how God can mix persistence with a sense of humor. Yep, on my lunch break there it was again. Chuckling, I prayed, Okay God I really get it! You are preparing to tell me something. Show me what it is.

Later this afternoon, a situation occurred where I was able to look back and see one way God wanted to speak to me through this song. The chorus "Empty me of the selfishness inside, every vain ambition and the poison of my pride" revealed an area of pride of which I wasn't aware.

I am so thankful that when God speaks, his voice is persistent. When he wants to make a point, he'll make every effort. It's his job to speak. It's our job to anticipate his voice and to listen.

Sometimes we may initially pass off occurrences like this as mere coincidence. But if we are open to God's voice and attentive to it, he might just have something to say to us individually. Even though God's lesson to me wasn't easy to hear, I was overjoyed that he took the time to speak to me.

I look forward to more of those Okay, I get it moments with my Savior. And I'm convinced that he does, too.



Enjoy the song Empty Me performed by Chris Sligh below the lyrics. Apparently he was on American Idol? I had no idea until I looked him up on youtube! :)

Lyrics: I've had just enough of the spotlight when it burns bright To see how it gets in the blood. And I've tasted my share of the sweet life and the wild ride And found a little is not quite enough. I know how I can stray And how fast my heart could change. Empty me of the selfishness inside Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride And any foolish thing my heart holds to Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with you. I've seen just enough of the quick buys of the best lies To know how prodigals can be drawn away. I know how I can stray And how fast my heart could change. Cause everything is a lesser thing Compared to you, compared to you. Cause everything is a lesser thing compared to you. So, I surrender all!


No comments: